Rss Feed
  1. That's How You Know

    Tuesday 18 May 2010

    I don't know if you've seen the film 'Enchanted'. I love it. It's camp, and fun and pokes fun at itself and the genre of Disney 'princess' films in the most wonderful way. I highly suggest getting your hands on a copy, if you haven't seen it. If you've got any warmth in you, it should leave you with a smile on your face.

    Anyway, Amy Adams, who plays Giselle in it, has this most amazing, old school style song called 'That's How You Know', where she talks about all the different ways that a guy will show a girl that he loves her, even if he can't actually say it.

    I didn't want to start quoting loads of songs at you, but this one is right. Love is a many splendoured thing, I believe it does lift us up where we belong, and much of the time, all you need is love. But since I'm not a big winner in the world of romantic love, I'd like to take a moment to exalt the virtues of the other kinds of love, and platonic love in particular.

    You don't necessarily go around all the time telling your friends how much you love them. Maybe you do, I don't know. I try to let them know as best I can, as the song in question says, with the little things you do. What I know though, is that there are people in my life who have been showing me day by day how much they care.

    It's the friend who, when we go out for lunch, is happy to drop whatever she's doing so that the time we go fits with where my numbers are.

    It's the dance partner who will carry my Glucotabs in his trouser pocket when we're performing because my skirt has nowhere to keep them.

    It's the friend who brings brownies in to work, and has carb-counted the recipe

    The other friend who says she's found a place round the corner that sells ice cream with an option of diabetic ice cream cones, if I'm interested. (Franks Diabetic Ice cream being the only 'diabetic' thing I'll buy)

    It's the absolutely amazing friend who will do a thirty mile round trip to pick up your prescription of test strips because you forgot to call it in, you'll run out over the weekend and are panicking.

    The same friend that took cans of diet coke on a trip because he thought you would go hypo due to all the walking and would want the caffeine after you came back up. Who can't stand needles, but has never said a word about me injecting in front of him.

    It's all these things and a hundred more that I could spend all day listing.

    That's how you know.

  2. 3 comments:

    1. Anonymous said...

      It's the bloggers who write insightful posts to read while you're procrastinating at work!

    2. Becky said...

      Haha! I hear you there! :D

    3. k2 said...

      You have AMAZING friends~
      kelly k

    Post a Comment